Yield: One 9-inch cake
This little cake is moist, delicious, and versatile. For dessert, you can top it with whipped cream, ice cream, berries, fruit, simple syrup, or some combination thereof. It is especially delicious with Poached Peaches in Rosemary-Honey Syrup. For breakfast, you can serve it like a breakfast bread — warm, with butter and honey.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a 9 by 2-inch round cake pan.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the cornmeal.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs, egg yolk, milk, olive oil and lemon zest until frothy. Add the sugar and honey, and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients and beat until the batter is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out with a few crumbs adhering.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Remove from the pan and transfer to a cake plate.
Source: www.foodnetwork.com, Emeril Lagasse, 2003