Yield: 2 1/2 cups
This delicious dish is gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and packed with whole grains. Infused with orange zest, cardamom, cinnamon, and honey, it is best served warm, topped with toasted, sliced almonds. If you have leftover brown rice, this comes together very quickly. Just skip the section on preparing rice and add 2 cups of cooked rice to the recipe for pudding. I enjoy it for breakfast and dessert!
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups salted boiling water
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Prepare brown rice:
- In a small saucepan, boil 1 ¾ cups of salted water.
- Rinse brown rice in cold water. Put rinsed rice in a separate saucepan and toast it over medium-low heat until it is dry and has a nutty aroma.
- Carefully, add the boiling water to the rice. It will bubble vigorously – be warned.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine the cooked rice, almond milk, orange zest, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture will thicken and reduce. After 30 minutes, the mixture will be thick, so stir it often for 10 more minutes.
- Once mixture has reached a custard-like consistency, remove the cinnamon stick. Add the honey, cardamom, and chopped apricots. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve warm, garnished with toasted sliced almonds.
- To chop dried fruit with ease, coat the cutting edge of your knife with non-stick cooking spray.
- To toast sliced almonds, place them on a baking sheet, in the oven, at 325 degrees for about 8 minutes or until golden brown.