Yield: 6-8 servings
Ribbons of zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and asparagus make this raw salad as pretty as it is delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small zucchini
- 3 small yellow squash
- 6 spears asparagus
- 1 carrot, peeled
- Parmesan cheese, shaved (to taste)
- fresh basil, thinly sliced (add to taste)
- fresh oregano, chopped (add to taste)
- Italian seasoning, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave thin ribbons of yellow squash and zucchini (do not peel them first). Stop at the center, discarding the seeds. Place ribbons into a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave ribbons of carrot and add them to the squash.
- Using a vegetable peeler, hold the asparagus by the root end with your thumb, and shave the tender top parts of the stalks into ribbons and add to mixture. Discard (or compost!) the tough lower ends.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper. Pour vinaigrette over shaved vegetables. Toss with fresh basil and oregano, a dash of Italian seasoning (optional), and salt/pepper to taste.
- Portion salad onto plates and top with shavings of Parmesan cheese (use the same vegetable peeler). Or, garnish a bowl of salad with shaved Parmesan and serve family style.